Thursday, 16 June 2011

August Sander:

I went to an exhibition on the photographer August Sander while I was in Edinburgh. The exhibition was so striking, the way he photographed his subjects was truly amazing. His idea was to create a truthful vision of the German people in the 20th century- he titled each photo with the profession of the subject, rarely including their name, as he was trying to divide the German people into seven main groups; The Farmer, The Skilled Tradesman, The Woman, Classes and Professions, The Artists, The City, and The Last People. He wanted to show everyone, and he really believed he could, in a completely honest way.

girl in fairground caravan & the boxer
three peasants

pastrycook & bricklayer

the wise one, shepherd
unknown & secretary at a radio station

"Nothing is more abhorrent to me than sugary-sweet photography full of pretence, poses, and gimmickry. For this reason, I have allowed myself to tell the truth about our times and people in a sincere manner."

- August Sander


  1. Yes. And that quote pretty much sums up how I feel about Tumblr these days. x

  2. wow, these are really amazing! they really seem to capture who the people really are, and they're beautiful - i love the tones.

  3. Admiring the dedication you put into your website and detailed information you provide.
    It's good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't
    the same old rehashed material. Excellent read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google

    My homepage More Signup bonuses

  4. We're a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with valuable info to work on. You have done a formidable job and our whole community will be grateful to you.

    My web-site - external link